Canon 5D Mark IV Used/Refurbished – Bargain or Not?
So, used and refurbished cameras are definitely less expensive than a new one. But are they worth buying? And where can you find one?
Used Canon 5D Mark IV Condition
So what kind of condition are used Canon 5D Mark IV’s in?
Canon 5D Mark IV’s are a professionals camera and cost $3,000 new, depending on the lens and accessories. Professional photographers make money with their cameras and so they take really good care of them, especially because they are expensive. If the camera fails in the field, it can be very costly. No photographer wants a camera failure in the field. Because of this, they take excellent care of their cameras. I have heard that they typically get their cameras cleaned and tested every year.
You will see very few Canon D5’s that have physical damage like dents or deep scratches, although it does happen but rarely. Photographers don’t like to drop their cameras.
Most used Canon 5D’s are in “Like New” condition. They have some wear on the body where it is held just because of physical and chemical wear from human hands. This is normal and does not affect the functionality of the camera. Sometimes light scratches are found on the LCD screen on the back of the camera. These are usually caused by nature, aka bush or tree branches or from something abrasive in the camera bag. Again these scratches do not affect camera functionality. So, these are minor and totally acceptable.
They best way to determine the wear on a 5D is by the shutter count or the number of pictures that were taken. Shutter counts on used Canon 5D Mark IV cameras are usually in the low range from 4,000 to 50,000. The Canon factory tests them to 150,000 cycles. So even 50,000 shutter cycles is pretty low compared to the life expectancy. That’s only about 30% of the shutter life expectancy.
Why buy a used Canon 5D Mark IV?
The main reason is to spend less money while still getting a top end camera or getting more camera for the same amount as a new lower end model. The amount you save depends on the seller, age of the camera and condition. Naturally, the more wear and age, the less expensive the camera. Also, the higher the shutter count the less expensive it will be.
So buying a used Canon 5D can save you from 10% to 45% off the price of a new one. That could be $200 – $1000+. and you still get a great, fully functional camera in good condition. That’s buying wisely.
The only negative consideration is warranty. The Canon factory warranty will most likely be expired. So you will be responsible for any failures with the camera systems.
What is a refurbished or renewed Canon 5D Mark IV?
A refurbished or renewed camera is a camera that was bought new but returned for some reason. The reason for return could be anything from “found one cheaper” to missing items or damage or even a broken box. Amazon allows anyone to return any item withing 30 days for a full refund. So if you buy a camera and then decide in 2 weeks that you don’t want it, you can return it for a full refund. This return will turn into a refurbished item and resold at a significant discount.
Cameras that are returned are tested and inspected by certified technicians before being resold as refurbished. If there is damage that affects functionality, it will be repaired. If functionality is not affected then nothing is done before resale.
Refurbished cameras are as close to New as possible. Shutter counts are usually 0 – 50. Physical appearance is usually the only issue with refurbished cameras. There may be minor scratches or scuff marks. Otherwise, it’s pretty much New.
Refurbished Canon 5D Mark IV Condition
The condition of refurbished Canon 5D’s is mostly “Like New”. They look perfect. The only con would be missing body cap or instruction booklet or damaged Canon box. These are all very minor. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a refurbished or renewed Canon 5D. They function 100% and have a warranty too.
Why buy a refurbished or renewed Canon 5D Mark IV?
The main reason to buy a refurbished or renewed Canon 5D is to save money. Refurbished 5D’s are a few hundred dollars cheaper than new. Sometimes you can get them quicker if New are not in stock. I always look for refurbished when shopping for cameras or other expensive items. It’s just a smarter way to shop. Both New and Refurbished have a full factory warranty and are both 100% functional. The only difference may be a slight appearance blemish.
What to look for in a used Canon 5D Mark IV
- Physical damage – scratches, dents, wear, etc
- Shutter count – low to mid range 4,000 – 75,000
- Warranty by seller or by manufacturer?
- Description – is it “good”, ” very good”, “excellent” or “Like New” condition
- Accessories included – body cap, lens, factory box, shoulder strap, battery and charger, etc. What’s included?
- Price – must be significantly lower than new [$400 – $600 less]
What to look for in a refurbished Canon 5D Mark IV
- Physical Damage – scratches or blemishes
- Shutter Count – usually 0-20
- Warranty – usually Canon factory warranty
- Description – Refurbished or Renewed
- Accessories Included – Box, body cap, shoulder strap, battery and charger. Sometimes Canon instruction booklet.
- Price – usually a $200+ discount off of New
Canon 5D Mark IV Used Values/Prices
Here are values/prices of used Canon 5D Mark IV that I have run across online.
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – 41,000 shutter count, very good condition $1,949
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – professionally cleaned and tested $2,224
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – 15,358 shutter count, 90 day warranty, very good condition $2,225
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – like new condition $2,349
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – brand new with original new box plus sellers warranty $2,389
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – like new condition and tested $2,409
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Used – Like New, free shipping $2,409
Canon 5D Mark IV Refurbished Values/Prices
Refurbished 5D’s can be hard to find, so check them out when you find one and make a decision quickly. They are good deals.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Renewed/Refurbished
- Professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by qualified suppliers.
- No visible cosmetic imperfections when held at an arm’s length.
- Battery will exceed 80% capacity relative to new.
- Accessories may not be original, but will be compatible and fully functional.
- May come in generic box.
- Eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if you are not satisfied under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee
- Price $2,294
Where to buy used Canon 5D Mark IV Cameras
You can find used Canon 5D’s online and locally. If you want to shop locally, then visit local camera stores and pawn shops and even garage sales. Camera stores will be the better of the 3 because they are more reputable and know what they are selling. Pawn shops and garage sales will be more risky. You don’t know what you’re getting.
Camera shops will always test and inspect a camera before they buy it. You may get a 30 day warranty at a camera store whereas a pawn shop or garage sale you won’t.
You will have better luck online when it comes to used Canon EOS 5D Mark IV’s. Amazon is a great place to shop. They have a good selection of inventory and competitive prices plus free shipping. Amazon.com is hard to beat. I found 12 New and over 20 used 5D’s at Amazon.com.
Where to buy refurbished Canon 5D Mark IV Cameras
You may find refurbished Canon 5D’s at a local camera store but it’s not likely. Online is the best bet and Amazon.com has some in stock and at competitive prices.
Canon 5D Mark IV [used] Specifications
- 30.4 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- ISO 100 – 32,000
- 4K video capture
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- 7 fps continuous shooting
- 61 AF Points
- 150,000 pixel RGB metering
- Built in WiFi
- Built in GPS
- 1 CF slot and 2 SD slots
- Viewfinder 100%
- 30 seconds to 1/8000 second shutter speeds
- 3.2 inch LCD monitor – 1.62M dots
- Battery Life 900 shots
- Shutter Life Expectancy 150,000 cycles
- Weight 890 grams or 31.39 ounces.